Monday, March 19, 2007

I Love Bikes



Many of you already know that I love riding bicycles and if you have been reading my blog for very long you know that I do some work for my friend Jim Kish who is a custom mountain and road bike builder based in Pismo Beach. Jim does some amazing work which was recently showcased at the Handmade Bicyle Show up in San Jose. As a side note, an image I did for him a few months ago was on the cover of the show's brochure which was kind of cool.
Jim wanted the paint on his bikes to be as good as his workmanship so he called up the talented folks at Spectrum Powderworks and told them to go wild. This was the result; I call it a bike tattoo! The look is actually achieved by masking off the sections of the bike with a type of tape that covers the areas you don't want to have the pattern then doing a type of bead-blasting to rough up the areas where you do want the pattern. It is an amazing bike to look at because it is so detailed but not over-the-top like so many bikes in the $5K+ price range. Did I mention that this 60cm bike weighs just a hair over 16lbs with parts sturdy enough for a 200lb rider? I also included 2 images of a new retro mountain bike design Jim created that has a very cool look.
Speaking of bikes, I have been working hard on a new trail behind my house that is almost finished. I have put over 20 hours of shoveling, pick-axing sawing and poison oak removal to get it in good shape; if you ride and you are passing through Paso Robles give me a call so I can show off all my hard work. I will post some images of it soon, it has been a real labor of love and I am pretty happy with how it has turned out. I am very blessed to live in a location that allows me to do stuff like this!





4 comments:

Chris k. said...

very nice colin. bikes=beauty!

His Creations Photography said...

Colin,
Those are some stickin sweet shots. Love the contrast against your black background!! He puts some incredible paint detail into that frame! Great job man!

jason groupp said...

Nice lighting man. That stuff can be tough! Hope you got to keep one of 'em. ;)

Tim Halberg said...

sexy... that's all I've got!