Monday, February 12, 2007

OSP West Success!!!





OSP West was a success, even if it was raining! It was so great to met everyone (if only briefly!) and finally put faces with names! Sorry if I was a bit aloof and didn't get a chance to talk with everyone but that is was OSP WII is for! I honestly can't believe how nice everyone is, I'm so bummed I live so far away from you all and I won't get to hang out more often. I'm am resolving to stop being such a hermit and get out to visit all of you! Everyone was so much fun and everyone had something to contribute.

I have to thank so many people for making this all happen. To all those who planned, gave workshops and shared their knowledge, in no particular order:
The Big Folio Crew- Mike and Erik went the extra, uh, 10 or so miles to pull this all off! They are awesome guys and such a great resource. Without them OSP West wouldn't have happened. I will be upgrading my website with them soon, they will be sick of me in no time!
John Michael Cooper- What a guy! Shares an amazing wealth of knowledge with everyone, then gets stuck sitting in parking lots in the back of my car for hours and still is a super cool guy, amazing!  Sorry to drag you around like that all day! His work and methods are so inspirational and he is just an all around great person. Seriously, his work is what I strive for; creativity, originality and such a polished look but he still maintains his persona in everything he does. I really hope I get a chance to hang out with him again. If you get a chance, check out John's anti-workshop
Jason Groupp- This guy is amazing. It is that simple. Nice guy, fantastic photographer and a wealth of knowledge. If you are in New York you need to look up Jason he will make you a better photographer. If you are getting married in NY you have to see his work, it is everything you could want. There are few people out there that are as genuine and kind. 
TJ Cameron- TJ is going to be big. He is a soft spoken, very easy to get along with guy who has more talent in is little finger than I will ever have. If you are getting married in Oregon or Orange County you owe it to yourself to check out his work.
Jefferson Todd- JT is one of those guys who makes me feel like such a slacker! He is a very jovial guy but an amazing business man who all of us can learn so much from. He is a perfect example of someone who can be a consummate professional yet be so easy to get along with that you feel like you have known them forever.
Chris + Lynn Jaksa- I am so glad I got the opportunity to meet and get to know Chris and Lynn, what a fun couple! They are one of the premier husband and wife photography teams and a total inspiration. They are both so funny and great people, I can’t wait to get to hang out with them again at WPPI.
Mike Larson- Mike is a great person. In his group at the winery shoot last Friday I was amazed at how open he was and how well he led his group. Everyone learned a ton and got a chance to see Mike in action. I also got the chance to have dinner with he and his wonderful wife Rachel and can’t wait to repay the favor.
Gene Higga- I didn’t get much of a chance to hang out with Gene but in the few minutes we spoke I learned a ton. His workshop on destinations was awesome, as is his work. He is also originally from Santa Cruz (as am I) so he is okay in my book!
Robin Bellissima- Wow, Robin is smart! No joke, she is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met yet still down to earth and a total sweetheart. Her workshop on business and albums was fantastic and really shows just how we should all approach the long term goals we have for our businesses.

I know I forgot a few people, sorry! You were all amazing and I hope to get a chance to see you all again soon.

3 comments:

Chris+Lynn said...

Colin - you are the ultimate host! What an amazing job you did connecting all kinds of photographers from all over (even us reclusive Canadians, eh?!). It was great hanging with you and all the fantastic talent at OSPW in beautiful Cali.
Nice shot of Jessica - can't wait to see your Mexico wedding images!

Peace+Love,
C+L

jason groupp said...

Colin. You are too kind! I have to say the highlight of my trip was meeting you and your family. Thanks so much for letting us crash at your place, I hope we can see each other soon!

tj cameron said...

Wow. Thank you for the incredibly kind words Colin. I truly appreciate it. It was great meeting you and your family and thanks again for the hospitality. I look forward to seeing you again.

I know I speak for everyone at OSPW when I say thank you for all your time and efforts organizing a great weekend.