Sunday, May 04, 2008

Shooting Film in Napa with John



About two weeks ago I headed up to Calistoga Ranch (which is in the Napa Valley) to shoot a wedding with my buddy John. John could easily have handled this small wedding himself but his wife was due the following day with their first child so I went up just in case he got "The Call." Luckily that did not happen; John and Jody had their daughter several days later, congratulations guys!
Calistoga Ranch is a beautiful location and was a joy to shoot at. It was super windy but Jenny and Daniel braved the elements and still had an outdoor ceremony. I wanted to post a couple of B+W film shots I took with my new rangefinder 35mm camera. Both these images were shot in almost total darkness inside a wine cave with just a few candles for lighting. It was quite a difficult shoot, technically, but these two image really capture the feel for the wedding.
For anyone curious, I do shoot both film and digital. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but I believe that combining them to only use the strengths gives a much broader look than shooting all of one or the other.



OK, I couldn't resist posting just one digital shot :)

2 comments:

Mary Beth Tyson Photography said...

oooh.... i LIKE the first one! a lot!

Unknown said...

very nice.

i'm interested in you "new 35mm rangefinder." i am a fan of the type of camera and have used them many a time for personal stuff but i want muster up the courage to shoot one at a wedding some time soon. i was wondering what your thoughts are on their use in a wedding environment.

thanks.