Monday, January 14, 2008

Busy times...



I thought I would share a couple more modeling shots just for fun. It is only a very small part of the year that I get to shoot purely for myself so I'm squeezing in as many of these as I can manage between meetings with brides (this is the busiest time of the year for wedding bookings).

This February I have some very interesting fashion shoots planned with some very talented designers as well as a trip out to the desert with a bunch of other top wedding photographers to "recharge" ourselves with something different. Knowing the group who is coming, I'm guessing there is going to be some pretty funny blog material from that trip!

I often get questions from other photographers about my lighting so I'm going to start explaining a bit more. Sorry to anyone who isn't interested, you can just skip this part! :)
All three of these images were shot at iso 320
The top shot used 2 lights; one strobe bounced from an umbrella as the key from camera left and a smaller one shot directly at the model from camera right to create the accent light. f/6.3 @ 1/60
The second shot used basically the same lighting but both lights are un-diffused and from the opposite sides. f/7.1 1/50
The third shot used 2 lights, each at about 45 degrees to the model, both un-diffused and shot at about a 1:4 ratio. f/7.1 @ 1/80


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude where do you dfind the locations. These are great Colin. I cant wait to hear your class on off camera flash in Feb!!

colinmichael said...

Hey Chris, how you been?!
That first one is a parking lot next to a bunch of horse stalls, the other two are from a rooftop at Cal Poly. Without lighting they look like, well, a parking lot and a ugly rooftop lol! The other great thing about lighting is that you hardly have to do any post work when you shoot like this, all the drama is created in-camera.

Anonymous said...

WOW thats cool man the rooftop of cal poly. Did you have to go ninja style to get up there :) Thanks for sharing man. great work as usual.

Michael + Anna Costa said...

Love it!!

xo