Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Yosemite Wedding


A couple weekends ago I headed up to Yosemite to help my friend John Griffin shoot Emily and Will's wedding. I arrived Friday evening after dark and checked into our cabin. After a bit of confusion because of some odd bugs in our beds (yikes!) we switched rooms into the bug free cabin you see in the pictures. We headed over to the Ahwahnee Lodge to meet with the couple, who were incredibly nice people, and to get a bite to eat. When you are out in the woods you don't really think about dressing nicely so we actually weren't allowed into the dinning room because we didn't have collared shirts! The bar suited us just fine however :)
When you arrive in Yosemite at night then wake up in daylight you are so awestruck by the cliffs, it is stunning. The next morning I did the standard, "walk-out-the-door-look-up-stand-with-jaw-hanging" that every tourist does. My intention was to run 4 or 5 miles but I got caught up in the beauty of the place so ended up running more like 10 miles. I can see my friend TJ Cameron shaking his head at that after our extended run in New York City a couple months ago! But it was gorgeous and the weather was perfect, what was I supposed to do!?
What a great place for a beautiful destination wedding! We started off shooting the ladies at the Ahwahnee then headed over to the Yosemite Lodge to shoot the guys. The ceremony itself was by the Ahwahnee with the reception inside one of the dinning rooms. The surroundings at the ceremony was breathtaking. I had a great time and have to thank John again for inviting me along. Thanks to Emily and Will and their families for being such gracious hosts as well.


Front of our cabin


Here is what my run was like, can you blame me for staying out too long!?


Will is 6'5" so it seemed appropriate to frame him with Half Dome!


The view over the head table


The details were perfect


Just a fun portrait


I always get a variety of portraits so parents have something they like too


John posing while I check the lighting setup


The results of the lighting

6 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

You ran 10 miles with a CAMERA?

LOVE the details and you ROCK lighting!!!

colinmichael said...

I put it in my fanny pack.



JUST KIDDING! You didn't really think I wore fanny packs did you? I just carry my little Canon SD750 in my pocket.

jason groupp said...

Love that portrait of them on the log!

tj cameron said...

i'd say you have some issues with estimating distances :)

cool shots though!

Frank DiMeo said...

Excellent images!

Love that fun one on the log too like Jason said.

Anonymous said...

These are amazing Colin! Isn't Yosemite incredible. That picture you have in the Ahwahnee over the table is rad, and the lighting in the boulders came out incredible. Right on!